OLIVE OIL AND SALT BREAD
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus 3-4 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes
4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Cups Water
1 teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher Salt, plus extra for topping
1. In a bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, water, yeast and salt. Mix on medium speed until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5-10 minutes.
Stop mixer if needed if dough gets stuck on the dough hook and pull dough off and start again.
2. When the dough appears smooth and stretchy remove from the bowl. Turn the dough out on a work surface and knead forming a nice round ball.
Put back into the bowl and cover with clear plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise until it has doubled in size and does not spring back when you push fingers into it, about 2 to 4 hours.
3. Again turn the dough out onto a work surface and knead to release the gas and redistribute the yeast. Shape it into a round ball and cover again for 10 minutes to allow dough to relax.
4. Shape the dough into a tight ball. I have been cutting the dough in half and refrigerating half for another day during the week.
5. Coat bottom of a large Dutch oven with olive oil. Put the dough in the center of the pot and place the lid on it. Allow dough to rise again for about 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 450.
7. Rub olive oil gently over the surface of the dough. Score the bread with a sharp knife making an X or another design. This will allow the dough to expand freely. Sprinkle dough with salt and cover the pot and place in oven.
8. After 30 minutes, remove the lid, reduce the oven temperature to 375, and continue baking until the bread is nicely browned and cooked through. It should have an internal temperature of 200 when done. Allow the bread to rest on a rack for a few minutes. Serve warm with soup, pasta dish or just as is with butter!
TUNA BOWL WITH GINGER-SCALLION-AVOCADO DRESSING
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes for Tuna and Rice
1/4 Cup Coco Aminos
2 Tablespoons Sunflower Oil
2 Pounds Ahi Tuna, cut into Steaks
Freshly Cracked Pepper
1 1/2 Tablespoons Ginger, finely grated
2 Scallions, finely chopped
3 Tablespoons Coco Aminos
2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
1/4 Cup Sunflower Oil
1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Maldon Salt
Freshly Cracked Pepper
3 Tablespoons Lemon
2 Tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Large Avocado, diced
2 Cups Sushi Rice
Vegetable of your choice
1. Marinate tuna in 1/4 cup Coco Aminos and sunflower oil. Season with salt and pepper. Put in refrigerator until ready to cook.
2. Combine all ingredients for the Ginger-Scallion-Avocado Dressing. Prepare in advance and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Lemon juice will prevent avocados from browning.
3. If you are searing tuna, heat a heavy skillet over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes before adding the fish. You want to cook the outside quickly and sear for about 2-3 minutes on each side for a medium rare steak. Cook longer for a medium cooked fish.
4. Prepare your individual tuna bowl with organic greens, sticky rice, vegetable and tuna. Top with the Ginger-Scallion-Avocado Dressing and sesame seeds.
SPAGHETTI WITH SHRIMP SCAMPI
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
1 Pound Spaghetti
5 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 Tablespoons Garlic Cloves, minced (about 6-7 cloves)
1 Pound Large Shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 20 shrimp)
1/2 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
1/2 Cup Fresh Parsley or Cilantro, chopped
Grated Zest of 1 Lemon
1/4 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice (2 Lemons)
1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
Lemons for Garnish
1. In a large pot of salted boiling water add 1 tablespoon of salt. Add the spaghetti and cook for 7 to 10 minutes or according to the directions on the package.
2. Meanwhile in a large saucepan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium low heat. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute. Garlic can burn easily so be attentive. Add the shrimp, 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper and sauté until the shrimp have just turned pink, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat and add the parsley or cilantro, lemon zest, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine and adjust seasonings as needed.
3. When the pasta is cooked, take pasta from the pot with thongs and add to the sauté pan. Toss all ingredients together and serve at once. Garnish each plate with thinly sliced lemons.